Sunday, September 15, 2013

Stromboli

As a kid, I hated Stromboli. Largely because I didn't feel Swiss cheese was worth my time, I saw no appeal to it's sharp fragrance appealing, I turned my nose up at it, and with out hesitation, requested provolone instead.

As an adult, I love Stromboli. Largely because I will take any opportunity to flirt with Swiss cheese and curse my younger self for not having appreciated it's allure. I'm ashamed for ever suggesting provolone could replace it so easily. 

I have seen the error in my ways. The amount of Stromboli I dismissed… the Swiss cheese I disregarded… The regretful feelings I still harbor…I was so young…. I was such a foolish… 

 photo 1236637_573275869406369_714974118_n_zpsdd8a4bba.jpg


Stromboli



Roll out half a ball of pizza dough to be about 12x15 rectangle {If you don't have you favorite homemade pizza dough, grab one of those bags of dough that is usually by the deli counter's refrigerators, ie: Portland Pie Crust Comp. My Mom buys frozen bread loafs to use and there have been times I've used Pillsbury Crescent rolls as well}

My family reminiscent  "go-to" layering:
thin sliced deli meats and cheese:
-Ham
-Salami
-Pepperoni
-Swiss cheese


Since then another favorite:
-Turkey
-Bacon
-Provolone/Yellow American 
-Tomatoes

{Stromboli, is very versatile and you can stuff it with anything and everything you have 'on-hand' for ingredients, just  prepare for a potential mess, when using any sauces}

After layering, roll up with wide folds, about four folds {DON"T roll it tight, unless you like a doughy center or like cooking things that look like a worm}

Pinch dough closed on top.
Pinch and fold dough ends under Stromboli log
Slice a few holes up top to let out air while cooking.
Transfer to tin foil lined & sprayed cookie sheet

Bake 350 for 20 minutes
Let set for about 10 minutes

Cut into strips, refrain from serving to snotty, red headed, little girls, who turn there nose up at it's smell alone. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment