Monday, February 10, 2014

'White' Chicken Chili

Let me frist start of by acknowledging that though this is a recipe based on the idea of White Chicken Chili, it's in fact not white… but wait, just listen…. I can explain…

Firstly, some recipes have pepper jack {or some other} cheese melted into it's broth, supporting the color assigned title, I don't see the necessity of it…. cheese base broth, isn't really chili now is it….

Secondly, what kind of "chili" doesn't have "chili powder" in it?
No chili I'm willing to attack my name to, I'll tell you that.

So with the darkness of the chili powder and the lightness of the base, it's pretty self explanatory for there.

Perhaps I could have taken the liberty to name it, "Slightly Off White, Not Quite Tan, With A Hue of Red, Chicken Chili", but I feel like that just doesn't roll of the tongue as well.


'White' Chicken Chili

Dice up
-2 Chicken breast
Season with salt & pepper

Dice up
-1 Large sweet onion

Medium-high Heat
-3 Tbs oil
in bottom of large pan on stove.

When oil is hot, throw in chicken breast and onions. {makes sure oil is hot enough that the chicken sizzles when put in}
Stir to coat with oil.
Cook 2-3 minutes
**Chicken wont be fully cooked, but remember the chicken will continue to cook throughout the rest of the recipe and you don't want tough chicken by the end of it!**

Season chicken & onions with
-1 tsp Garlic Powder {preferably two cloves real garlic, but I didn't have any in my house, yes I'm ashamed of myself, whatever, I really don't want to talk about it}  
-1 tsp Cumin
-1tsp Chili Powder
-2 tsp salt
-1 tsp Oregano

Stir to coat chicken with seasoning

Sprinkle in
-2 TBS flour
Stir

Slowly stir in
-2 cans of Chicken Broth

Add
-2 cans of shoepeg corn
-1 can of pinto beans

Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes

Add 
-1 cup of milk {I used 2%, but you could use cream for a thicker and richer base}

-Salt to taste

Serve with
-diced Red onion
-shredded cheddar cheese

And if you decide to photograph your bowl of chili, expect a mini sized photo bomber to make their presents known while sneaking bites between frames...


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment